International Law Faculty and Private Law Center of the RFTA announce 6th Rozenberg Contest in International Commercial Arbitration INTERNATIONAL SALE – 2019. For the first time in Russia, the Contest in International Arbitration is held in two languages (Russian / English)
The sixth M.G. Rozenberg International Commercial Arbitration Moot
“VAVT 2019 – International Sale of Goods”
The competitions is organized by Russian Foreign Trade Academy and Chamber of Commerce and Industry of the Russian Federation
We invite bachelors, masters and post-graduate students of all universities of the Russian Federation and other countries to participate in the Competition.
· For the first time in Russia when the moot court on International Commercial Arbitration is held in Russian and English
· For the first time in the world a completely new format the International Arbitration-Mediation International Arbitration competition
· For the first time M.G. Rozenberg International Commercial Arbitration Moot holds a quarter-final in each section.
SECTIONS OF THE MOOT:
International Arbitration (in Russian and English): a realistic procedural duel between the parties is held in this section.
International Arbitration-Mediation-International Arbitration section (in Russian): in this section international commercial arbitration and negotiations of the parties are combined.
1. The first stage constitutes a procedural duel between the parties.
2. At the second stage, parties try to settle the dispute and develop a mediation agreement with the help of mediator.
3. At the third stage, the parties submit their agreement for approval by the arbitration panel.
The results of the competition are summed up separately in each section.
The competition Regulation and other materials are posted on the RFTA website (www.vavt.ru).
Each university may send up to 3 teams to participate in each section. Each team participates only in one competition and in one section. Participation in the competition is free.
Send your applications:
· For International Commercial Arbitration section in Russian to Anna Grigorievna Majstrenko, the member of the Organizing Committee (email@example.com)
· For International Commercial Arbitration section in English to Denis Jakovlevich Primakov, the member of the Organizing Committee (firstname.lastname@example.org)
· For International Arbitration-Mediation-International Arbitration section to Natalya Ivanovna Gajdaenko – Sher, , the member of the Organizing Committee (email@example.com)
The application includes the name of the university, faculty, the chosen section and language, team composition and coach, contact information (telephone numbers, e-mails of the team members). The application must be sent no later than January 10, 2019, the arbitration hearings will be held on the 20-22 March 2019.
ABOUT THE COMPETITION
“VAVT 2019” is the sixth student Moot on International Commercial Arbitration named after M.G. Rozenberg who was famous international expert in international trade law, world known arbitrator, professor, author of numerous works on private international law and Russian civil law, international sale of goods, international commercial arbitration.
The Сompetition is held during the reform of the arbitration proceedings and its aims are:
· To uncover the secrets of legal profession,
· To develop such skills as:
o presenting the position of the parties to the dispute and protecting their legitimate interests with the help of applicable rules of law and foreign doctrine,
o convincing the panel of the validity of the presented arguments,
o analyzing strong and weak points of the opponent
· To gain experience in commercial mediation
· To gain knowledge about advantages of alternative methods of dispute resolution
The competition provides the participant with the following opportunities:
· To master acting on behalf of the party to a commercial dispute in Russian and in English,
· To learn the modern ways of conduction the arbitration procedure,
· To try being a commercial mediator and to learn its technology,
· To gain some practical experience and knowledge which exceed the ones gained during an ordinary educational process,
· To get some valuable recommendations and practical advice from the best lawyers working in the spheres of international arbitration and mediation in the country.
The jury of the competition is formed from the arbitrators of the International Commercial Arbitration Court at the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of the Russian Federation and mediators from the Collegium of mediators for conciliation procedures at the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of the Russian Federation and other domestic and foreign arbitration and mediation centers, including native speakers.
Preparation and holding of the Moot provides the Organizing Committee, which includes:
Chairman: A.S. Komarov, Head of the Chair of Private International Law, Professor, member of the Presidium of the International Commercial Arbitration Court at the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of the Russian Federation, member of the presidential Council for the codification of law and improvement of civil legislation, member of the presidential Council for the improvement of justice.
Vice-chairman: D. N. Podshibjakin, head of the Center of Arbitration and Mediation of Chamber of Commerce and Industry of the Russian Federation
Members of the Organizing Committee:
L. B. Zabelova, Professor of the Chair of Private International Law, the speaker of the International Commercial Arbitration Court at the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of the Russian Federation
I. N. Lukjanova, Head of the Chair of Procedural Law
A. G. Majstrenko, Associate professor of the Chair of Civil and Business Law
D. Ja. Primakov, Associate professor of the Chair of Procedural Law
G. A. Pakerman, Associate professor of the Chair of Civil and Business Law
Ju. V. Petrovicheva, Associate professor of the Chair of Civil and Business Law
N. I. Gaidaenko Sher, Arbitrator of International Commercial Arbitration Court, senior staff scientist of the Institute of Legislation and Comparative Law under the Government of the Russian Federation, senior lawyer of the law firm “Secretan, Troyanov, Schaer”
B.A. Basistiy, arbitrator of International Commercial Arbitration Court at the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of the Russian Federation;
I.Z. Greku, arbitrator of International Commercial Arbitration Court at the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of the Russian Federation;
G. V. Sevastianov, managing editor of journal “Arbitration”
The competition is held on the basis of:
· The Rules of Arbitration of International Commercial Disputes (available at the website of the International Commercial Arbitration Court) for International Commercial Arbitration section
· The Rules of Arbitration of International Commercial Disputes and the Regulation of the Board of Mediators for Conducting Conciliation Procedures at the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of the Russian Federation for Arbitration-Mediation-International Arbitration section; Conciliation Rules of Vienna International Arbitral Center can be applied subsidiary.
The competition has two rounds:
The first round - preparing Memorandums of both parties and sending them not later than February 2, 2019. Memorandums should be in accordance with facts of the case which shall be published in English and in Russian up to December 1, 2018.
The second round - moot courts; the draw for the first round of moot courts will be held on February 4, 2019
First round of the moot courts, where each team will take part in 2 moots (as a claimant and as a defendant) will be held in RFTA on March 20, 2019. The second round of the moot courts (quarterfinals and semifinals) will be held in RFTA on March 21, 2019.
The final round will take place on March 22, 2019 in the Congress center of Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Russian Federation.
The award ceremony and closing ceremony will take place on March 22, 2019 at the Congress center of the chamber of Commerce and industry of the Russian Federation. The winners and the best participants will receive prizes and internships in leading law firms.
Your team can participate in the Competition.
We are waiting for your applications!